Parenting as a Spiritual PracticeNew dates TBA, Nelson BC 10 AM to 5 PM (with lunch from 12:30 – 1:30) 823 Baker St. (Heritage Health Clinic)
Cost: $80/person; $120/couple. Pre-registration required; limited spaces
In the hardest moments of being a new parent, and in the gentle arc of expansion, I found again and again, gems of wisdom that would surface in the perfect moment. The two-day course was priceless! ~ Adrian W. (father of two)
For more info: Tel.: (250) 355-2206; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will explore, learn about, and practice:
- Meeting our whole child—a being made of body, mind, soul, and spirit.
- Understanding our child’s unique stage of development, strengths & growing edges, and type, so that we neither expect too much nor too little, and can parent in alignment with who our child is (and is becoming!).
- How parenting is intimately connected with who we are, and therefore dependent on our own growth and consciousness.
- Riding paradoxes, for example, offering our child unconditional love and providing direction, guidance, and at times very clear boundaries and correction.
- Parenting within an evolutionary context—lifting the bar of what parenting can be by bringing evermore consciousness to the task, whilst not creating more self-doubt or stress about our ability and capacity to parent.
- Navigating the interface between our own family culture and that of the world at large with grace and clarity.
What else might you like to know about this course…?
** It is made up of experiential, explorative, practical and theoretical components.
** This course is at least as much about you as a parent as it is about your child. The shifts in perspectives, the work and growth we suggest and teach are pretty much all directed at you… You and I and all of us growing up (and waking up) in order to help our children grow up.
** This workshop is practical and useful. Especially in the realm of parenting it all comes down to the actual practice – what you think and intend is a first, very important step; who you are, how you show up, and what you do, however, is what really makes the difference for your child.
** We will share the underlying principles and overarching perspectives at work in an integral approach to parenting. A shift in perspective holds much more weight and resilience in the face of ever-changing situations and conditions, than if we simply offer you numerous concrete suggestions that may or may not fit your particular circumstance and child. As you understand, integrate, and then make use of them, you will be better equipped and able to find your own solutions and responses to the many circumstances you will encounter on a daily basis.
** Because of our emphasis on the inner work of the parent, and the underlying principles/practices of integral parenting, this course will be applicable to your journey as a parent whether your child/children are new-born, six years old or twelve… However, our general focus in on laying a solid foundation during the early years of a child’s life. Pregnant parents and those considering becoming parents are very welcome too!
Main course facilitator: Miriam Mason Martineau is a mother. She holds an M.A. in Psychology from the University of Zurich,with specialization in Youth and Child Psychology, and has been working in private practice as an integral therapeutic counselor since 1993. She is presently writing a book on Integral Parenting and is passionately interested in parenting as a spiritual path – both in theory and in practice – a humbling and delightful adventure it is! She is vice-president of Next Step Integral, an international organization that brings an integral perspective to ecology, education, parenting and community. She lives in Winlaw, BC, with her husband, Stephan and their 9-year old daughter, Adonia.