WEAVING LIGHT~Devotional Songs from East and West
March 6 & March 12 concerts SOLD OUT
Send us an email if you’d like to be notified in the event that we add another show.
Touchstones Nelson, 502 Vernon Street
Doors at 7pm; Concert at 7:30pm
- Next Step Integral presents a talk by philosopher, author and Irish monk Mark Patrick Hederman on ‘Kissing the Dark: the Unconscious and the Tarot’, April 27 in Nelson BC, Canada.
- In March, Hannes Aurell from Matrix Integral visited Nelson and engaged in a close collaboration with us, becoming a core member of our integral school team! We are excited to join forces and visions.
- After a year of incredibly promising collaboration amongst various stakeholders, the Slocan Integral Forestry Cooperative (SIFCo) sends in its pre-invitation proposal for a Community Forest Agreement March 2nd. News as to whether this will be accepted should be announced by mid June.
- Next Step Integral presents a weekly evening course (for 8 consecutive weeks) on Awakening our Authentic Self, facilitated by Stephan Martineau, Next Step co-founder. Begins Feb. 15th 2005
- The Institute for Transformative Leadership gets involved with the formation of Next Step Integral, enriching this project with their passion and expertise.
- The idea and dream of a live-in integral school enjoys a week-long intensive brainstorm with the California branch of the ‘dream’. We will see what doors open or close in relation to this exciting project.
- Next Step presents at the October Child-Spirit Conference in California on: Sacred Song: A Gateway to God. This experiential and practical workshop looks at:
- How singing with children can provide access for both adult and child to the spiritual realm.
- It explores what sacred song is and how it can transform, lift, inspire and bring us to deeper places.
- What is required to enter, to partake in sacred song.
- A CD project with Noirin Ni Riain, one of Ireland ‘s preeminent singers and collectors of traditional and sacred songs. The voices of Noirin and Miriam Mason Martineau take flight and blend together, reflecting the soul-search for the Divine through singing, and attuning both singer and listener to Presence, to the Ground of Being, beyond dogma, belief or conditioning. This is a sound project that honors the Birth of all Creation “the Sound of all Sounds” the Divine Human encounter. A first recording session took place June 1-3 2004 .
- May 29 Noirin Ni Riain sings at a sold-out solo concert “The Sound of the Celtic Soul”; May 30 & 31 she leads a 1½ day workshop — “The Ear of the Heart.” These two events marked the beginning of Next Step’s mandate to organize events that contribute to consciousness evolution. What a delight to begin these with singing and sound!
- March 29 th 2004 marked the beginning of a 12-week Consciousness Study Group in Nelson, BC.
- January: Next Step is spearheading an integral approach to forestry in the Slocan Valley , a bioregion in which the struggle between watershed protection and logging interests has been ongoing for the past twenty years. Initial meetings between various players and interest groups have proven extremely promising.
More details on some of these past events:
Irish Philosopher and Monk MARK PATRICK HEDERMAN speaks on KISSING THE DARK: THE UNCONSCIOUS AND THE TAROT
Wednesday, April 27th, 2005, 7:00PM, Nelson United Church, Nelson BC
When an Irish monk takes on the tarot, you know you’re going to get an interesting perspective!
Most of us relate to the unconscious in a passive way, through our dreams. Mark Patrick Hederman suggests that there are active ways to engage with this area. One such way is through the Tarot cards. According to Hederman, the Tarot cards are like ‘an idiots guide’ to the unconscious, an easy way to subvert the rational and allow the energies beneath to creep up through the floorboards. This, he says is where the springs of our creativity are hidden, and where God can enter our lives. “Understanding our unconscious is essential to being in touch with who we really are, and failure to do so is actually dangerous,” he contends.
A brilliant and engaging speaker, combining heart and mind with wit and humor, Hederman is a delight and inspiration to listen to. He brings with him a deep and generous care for the state of the world and an unquenchable hope in the potential of the human being.
Mark Patrick Hederman is an internationally acclaimed Irish philosopher, speaker and author. He has been a Benedictine Monk at Glenstal Abbey, Limerick , Ireland for the last 40 years. He is founder and editor of The Crane Bag Journal and has taught literature, philosophy and spirituality programs in America , France , Nigeria and Switzerland as well as Ireland . He has effectively written a book a year since the turn of the century. His many books include Mad Crazy Love, Anchoring the Altar, The Haunted Inkwell, and his bestsellers Kissing the Dark and most recent book Tarot: Talisman or Taboo?
According to Hederman , one of our major tasks at present is to acknowledge and appropriate the darkness which is an integral part of what we are as human beings. Join Mark in discovering ways of facing our own peculiar darkness. Kissing the dark means caring for it, reaching towards it, welcoming it, reassuring it and taming it.
In this talk he will bring us to an awareness of both the gift of the unconscious and the shadow of refusing to engage with it. Hederman claims that the last century is filled with examples of people in power losing touch with themselves, whether in concentration camps, school, parishes, orphanages, families because of a failure to tap into their unconscious lives. “Everyone of us is potentially an oppressor” he says. To avoid the “hell” of the last century, vision is required and that demands understanding and a very hard look at ourselves and
our unconscious motivations.
Hederman will give an introduction to the Tarot, a history of its uses and abuses and a practical guide to its value as an underground map in navigating the unconscious, which, as he says, is a huge part of who we are. “Understanding our unconscious is essential to being connected to who we really are, and failure to do so is actually dangerous,” he contends.
‘When an Irish monk takes on the Tarot, you know you’re going to get an interesting perspective, and Hederman’s impressively researched book lives up to such promise… An excellent choice for all spiritual patrons.’ – Booklist
‘The name of Mark Patrick Hederman is no longer one that rings a bell – it strikes a gong!’– The Furrow
Awakening our Authentic Self – Eight-week Consciousness Group, Feb.- April 2005, every Tuesday 7:30 till 10:00 pm. Facilitated by Stephan and Miriam Martineau, in Nelson BC.
Next Step Integral offers an 8-week course / discussion group in Nelson every Tuesday night starting Feb. 15th. In this course we will seek to deepen our understanding of our potential next step in consciousness evolution with a primary focus on actually applying our discoveries into our lives. We will explore questions such as: What does it mean to be a human being living at this time in history? Where has our evolution led us so far? What is the next step for us individually and as a collective? What does the movement from a self-centred relationship to life to one that is based on authenticity and service feel and look like? How can we evolve so that human life on earth becomes more integral and holistic?
In addition to short presentations, we will meditate together, listen to some of the most profound thinkers of our time and have heart-felt group discussions.
Awakening our Authentic Self: Twelve-week Consciousness Group, 2004, every Monday 7:30 till 10:00 pm. Facilitated by Stephan and Miriam Martineau, in Nelson BC at the Mountain Waters Lodge.
In this consciousness group we seek to deepen our understanding of the next step in consciousness evolution with a primary focus on actually applying our discoveries into our lives. We will explore questions such as: What does it mean to be a human being living at this time in history? Where has our evolution led us? What is the next step for us individually and as a collective? What does the movement from a self-centred relationship to life to one that is based on authenticity and service feel and look like? How can we evolve so that human life on earth becomes more integral and holistic?
We will also listen to some of the most profound thinkers of our time thru videos and recorded talks. We will meditate together and have discussions. We will meet once a week, on Monday nights and we will wind up at 10:00pm, closing with tea and informal time for connection.
This consciousness study group is for people who have made or are clearly aspiring to make a commitment to an awake, conscious existence above everything else in their lives. We are looking for people who are ready to commit to the process and to explore together some of the most pertinent questions of our time, find answers and direction and then act. We hope you will join us!
Consciousness study group participants share:
My commitment to this has brought something to motion. This movement is like a dam of water that has been freed and it is sweeping through all my former conceptions and regular ways of doing and being and understanding. I look forward to this exposure and the raw beauty of discovered truth. – Sandra
It really means alot to me, to relate with others on the level of deep purpose and truth. I have become really exhausted with superficial interactions. Thank you for your embodiment and passion & integrity. It has truly impacted me. – Morgan
I feel that the time, energy and gifts that both of you have shared with all of us has made an immeasurable impact on all of our lives. – Jennifer